Internationally Educated Professionals

If you have received your physiotherapy education outside of Canada, please visit the Internationally Educated Professionals portion of this website for information on how to become registered and licensed with the College of Physiotherapists of Manitoba (CPM).

Physiotherapists Educated in Canada

Student Physiotherapist

All physiotherapy students who are undertaking supervised fieldwork placements in Manitoba must be registered with CPM on the Student Register. This includes University of Manitoba students, students from other Canadian University programs in physiotherapy, and International physiotherapy students.

To Register as a Student Physiotherapist you must provide the following items:

  • Registration form – available here
  • Letter from current University confirming enrollment in recognized physiotherapy course and placement details
  • Current Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector (must be within the last 6 months, original copy only – copies and receipts are NOT accepted)
  • Fees – contact CPM for current Fee schedule

Exam Candidate Register

A physiotherapist who has successfully completed:

  • A physiotherapy program from a Canadian University
  • The Written Component (Qualifying Exam) of the Physiotherapy Competency Exam (PCE)

New graduates must register as an Exam Candidate if you wish to practice within Manitoba after completing the Written Component (Qualifying Exam) of the Physiotherapy Competency Exam (PCE). Exam Candidates must work under Supervised Practice. You may remain on the Exam Candidate Register for a limited time of two years, and two attempts to complete an approved Clinical Evaluation.

If you fail to complete the Clinical Evaluation within the allotted time frame, the College of Physiotherapists of Manitoba (CPM) will remove you from the Exam Candidate Register and you will no longer be registered to legally practice in Manitoba. For more information on this roster, please click here.

Complete these steps in the Registration Process: STEP 1, 2, 3 

Active Practice Register

  • If you have completed the Physiotherapist Competency Exam (PCE) and have secured employment in Manitoba
  • If you are transferring from another province where you worked as an Active Physiotherapist and meet registration requirements in Step 7, you may qualify for Labour Mobility under the Agreement on Internal Trade.

If you are transferring from Exam Candidate to Active click here

If you are transferring from In-Active, another province or are a new registrant, click here.

In-active Register

If you have completed the Clinical Component of the Physiotherapist Competency Exam (PCE), or were previously on the Active register, but do not plan to work in Manitoba within the next three months or longer, you may register as an In-active Registrant to gain or maintain your registration status, and stay in contact with the College of Physiotherapists of Manitoba (CPM) via newsletter. You may remain on the Inactive Member registry for perpetuity. However, if you plan to work as a physiotherapist in Manitoba, you must Contact Us to transfer your registration to the Active Register before you begin employment.

If you are transferring from the In-Active Roster to the Active Roster, click here

Temporary Register

CPM grants Temporary registration to physiotherapists who come to Manitoba from another jurisdiction to provide physiotherapy service to the public in Manitoba for a specific purpose and for a limited time period. These circumstances include:

  • Participation in a sporting event as a physiotherapist who is practicing on the public
  • Teaching or attending a physiotherapy-related course in which members of the public are used for demonstration purposes

Physiotherapists seeking Temporary registration are expected to register with CPM in advance of arrival.

Click here to see the registration requirements.